Road Closures for Clinton and Halloween Events
October 25, 2016
10/25 ROAD & LOT CLOSURES – BILL CLINTON:
Bill Clinton will be visiting Greenville tomorrow night at Five Points Plaza at approximately 7pm.
Below is a list of lot and road closures.
• The 5 Points Lot closed today at 1pm, Monday. Parking will not be permitted in the lot tomorrow, Tuesday, 10/25
• Evans Street will be closed from Dickinson Avenue to 4th Street starting at approximately 2pm tomorrow.
• 5th Street will be closed between Greene and Cotanche Street at approximately 2pm.
*Washington at 4th Street will also close at 2pm. Detours will be posted.
• Guests are encouraged to use the 4th Street parking deck or other public lots downtown for parking. Please do not park at the library.
• There will be one single pedestrian entrance on the south side (Dickinson Avenue entrance) of the 5 points lot. The rest of the event area will be taped off. Come early and expect long lines.
• There will be a designated demonstration area on the public sidewalk on Dickinson Avenue in front of the library.
• Additional GPD officers will be staffing the event. We are continuing to work with the secret service as far as security needs.
Halloween Road Closures:
This year the Greenville Police Department has arranged for local vendors and food trucks to be stationed along Evans Street from 9:00 p.m. to 1:00 a.m. on Halloween night, Monday, October 31. The intent is to cater to the student age population without negatively impacting the regular dinner crowd at downtown businesses. The following vendors will be in attendance:
- Villa Verde
- Sup Dogs
- East Coast Wings
- Tulas Fish and Chips
- Williams Catering
The event area this year has been expanded to include businesses on Evans Street and 4th Street that were not previously included in the plan. This will also allow for additional space needed to safely spread out the larger crowds typically seen on 5th street.
There will be five checking stations located throughout downtown Greenville (see map below). These checking stations are optional; however, if someone does not wish to go through a checking station, they will not be allowed to enter the event area. For security reasons, no weapons (real or costume) will be permitted in the designated event areas. The checking stations are as follows:
- 5th and Reade
- 5th and Evans
- Cotanche Street near “Chicos”
- Cotanche near Parking Deck
- 4th and Evans
We have opened up the Five Points lot for public parking this year. The parking deck in the late evening will be used mainly by employees of downtown businesses. Parking passes will be distributed to area businesses to consolidate the employee parking and allow lot and street parking for visitors.
The Greenville Police Department has hired “Staff One” to work security at the downtown entrance points. Security staff will be dressed in identifying neon shirts and vests, similar to what one might be used to seeing at East Carolina University sporting events. This will allow for a smooth transition into the downtown area and free up emergency personnel to allow them to respond and be available for true emergency situations and calls for service. Extra police officers will still be stationed in the downtown area and throughout the city.Additional GPD staffing has been planned for Thursday, October 27 through Monday, October 31.
School resource officers will be dispersed throughout the city to provide high-visibility patrols in neighborhoods known for a high volume of foot traffic during trick-or-treat hours.
EAST CAROLINA UNIVERISTY –
Halloween Havoc is a substance free event offered by ECU for the students that starts at 10 p.m. and ends at 2 a.m. on October 31 at the Student Recreation Center. It includes a haunted house, escape room, laser tag, costume contest, dance featuring DJ Bobby Drake, as well as free food and beverages.
All participants are required to have a ticket for Halloween Havoc. Students can obtain a ticket at the Mendenhall Student Center (MSC) Ticket Office where they may also get a guest ticket until 9pm on October 31. Beginning at 9pm on October 31 until 1am ONLY STUDENTS can pick-up a ticket with a valid ECU 1card at the Central Ticket Office in MSC. Students must present a 1card and ticket for entry. There will be no re-entry into the event permitted. Staff One staff will be on site to work the gates, along with Greenville Fire and Rescue for emergencies.
ECU Transit will operate special late night service on Saturday, October 29 and Monday, October 31. This fare-free service operates to provide ECU students a safe transportation alternative to driving and parking on campus and in the Uptown area. ECU Police and Greenville Police will be on hand to ensure the safety of both passengers and ECU Transit employees. Before going out to celebrate, students are encouraged to take note of the service details below.
- Halloween Havoc will be located in the Student Recreation Center at the Mendenhall / West End bus stop. 850 Pirate Ride will operate with extended hours making its last departure from Mendenhall / West End at 2:30 a.m.
- All routes serving off-campus locations will provide one-way inbound service only until 12:30 a.m. After 12:30 a.m. passengers cannot board buses off-campus inbound to campus. All routes will drop off and pick up at the Mendenhall / West End bus stop. Return trips to off-campus locations will not be allowed until after 12:30 a.m. at which times all trips will only take passengers off-campus.
- Routes operating will include all 900-series Pirate Express routes with the exception of 902 The Grid which will be modified and only serve University Terrace, Brownlea and Third, Brownlea and Wyndham, and First and Oak.
- Buses will operate continuously without a set schedule from 10:30 p.m. until last trips depart Mendenhall / West End at 2:30 a.m.
- Rules for Pirate Express will be in effect for all routes; absolutely no alcohol regardless of container is allowed. Weapons, fighting, smoking, backpacks, and other large carry-on items are also prohibited. Persons getting sick onboard will be assessed a $50 cleaning fee.
- SafeRide will operate from 6:30 p.m. to 2:30 a.m. and serve its existing service area only.
For more information please contact the ECU Transit Customer service line at 252-328-4724.