Swing Into Summer at June First Friday
May 28, 2015
Make your way to the streets of Uptown Greenville on June 5 for First Friday, the best self-guided tour of the Uptown District. First Friday is a time when galleries, shops and restaurants open their doors wide and invite the community in to see what’s new.
June First Friday will feature a 6:00-8:00pm jazz jam and swing dance party with the Emerald City Big Band, a community jazz band located in Greenville, NC. The band’s repertoire starts with big band favorites from the 1930’s and 40’s and progresses up to the music of today.
“The Emerald City Big Band is looking forward to performing for the June 5th Uptown Greenville First Friday Art Walk,” said the band’s director, Michael Stephenson. “It’s always so much more fun when you play swing music to actually have real swing dancers, so we are really excited about having the East Carolina Swing Dancers join us for this event.”
Find the Emerald City Big Band playing on the grassy courtyard along Evans Street in front of the new 4th Street Parking Deck. The East Carolina Swing Dancers will provide gratis swing-dancing instruction for all those First Friday ArtWalk attendees looking to get their feet moving.
Uptown Greenville galleries will be open from 5:00-8:00pm on June 5 featuring new exhibitions and free opening receptions. The Greenville Museum of Art will showcase “K-12: Works by Pitt County Schools’ Art Students,” and ECU Senior Exhibitions by BFA Candidates Kate West and Rosanne Markadakis.
The Pitt County Arts Council at Emerge will feature “Greenville | In Transient” by Sim Asher in the Harvey Wooten Gallery and “Salvage. Design. Create.” by Daniel Peoples in the Don Edwards Gallery. Both exhibits will stay up through August 27 and will be celebrated on June 5 by a free opening reception featuring beer and wine from Coastal Beverage Company.
Tom Braswell, director of The Gray Gallery, School of Art and Design, ECU will exhibit his photographs at The Art Room, and Uptown Art Supply & Gallery will feature “Urban Exhibition” – an exploration of the pros, cons and universal impacts of urbanization.
Attendees of First Friday can enjoy free rides aboard the Jolly Trolley and great discounts at participating restaurants and shops like Christy’s Euro Pub’s $3 North Carolina craft beers, Starlight Café’ $10 tapas trio at the bar only, Coastal Fog’s 20% off your purchase, and many more!
See a full list of the Uptown District First Friday discounts below:
– The Tipsy Teapot @ Limelight: 10% off food + additional specials.
– Chico’s Mexican Restaurant: 10% off food + additional specials.
– Fitzgerald’s: Buy one appetizer, get one free (excluding the Fitz Platter).
– Christy’s Euro Pub: $3 North Carolina Craft Beers.
– Thai 360: 10% off all regular menu items – dine in only; secret specials also available.
– Cinnamon Indian Cuisine: Free appetizer with the purchase of two entrees.
– Starlight Cafe: $10 tapas trio at bar only.
– Sojourner: 10% off entire purchase.
– East Carolina Massage: Book your massage on First Fridays and receive a receive a free t-shirt.
– Closet Consignment: 10% off your purchase.
– Coastal Fog: 20% off your purchase