15 Weeks of Summer’s Best Market Coming Soon!
May 7, 2015
The Uptown Greenville Umbrella Market is coming back to Five Points Plaza for fifteen glorious weeks of fresh, creative, local fun. This annual open-air market begins May 20 and returns every Wednesday through August. Mark your calendars for 5-8 p.m., every Wednesday from May 20 until August 26!
“To keep things interesting, there will be a feature event each week,” said Market Manager Robin Ashley. “We’re kicking it off with the Cupcake War, which was a huge crowd-pleaser last year. Burger and wing throwdowns are planned for markets in June and July. Cooking demos by local chefs will give you ideas for how to use the beautiful produce available at the market and showcase some of Greenville’s most exciting culinary masters. There will be activities for kids like cooking demos and a nutrition scavenger hunt.”
What are some of the things you’ll find at the Umbrella Market this year?
– Produce from nearby farms. Fruits, vegetables, honey, etc.. As fresh as it comes!
– Unique jewelry, woodwork, pottery, soaps, textiles, plants, photography and paintings, to name just a few things.
– The very best face-painting you’ve ever seen.
– Artisanal food
– Artisanal food items like baked goods, coffee, nuts, kettle corn, hot pork skins cooked right there in front of you.
– Non-profit organizations raising awareness, educating and engaging with the public.
– More cupcakes than you can imagine.
– Even massage therapists!
And it’s all local. And those are just the booths!
After you’ve checked out the vendor and informational booths and other free events and activities, Ashley suggests you hang around and play. “Grab a hula-hoop! Challenge some friends to twister or a few rounds of cornhole! Cold drinks like Duck-Rabbit Brewery will be there for you if you start to feel thirsty.”
The live music played by local talent wraps up the whole market in a feel-good vibe. The powerful and entrancing folks/blues singer Rebekah Todd is first on the line-up, with Psylo Joe, the Farewell Symphony and many other great musicians.
The Umbrella Market is just one of many reasons why it’s great to be Uptown!