Uptown Kicks Off October: First Friday, Homecoming, and a new Artisan Market
October 1, 2014
A perfect NFL season, a feral horse, a double rainbow–these things are rare. On October 3, Freeboot Friday and the First Friday ArtWalk fall on the same night, and Uptown Greenville, from 5-8 p.m. is the place to be for it.
But that’s not all! It’s also the inaugural night for a new First Friday offering: The ArtWalk Artisans Market will place local artists, artisans and merchants along Evans Street to show off and sell their wares.
“The ArtWalk Artisans Market brings together some of the city’s finest inspired creators of hand-made and edible goods,” said market manager Robin Ashley. “Our summer Umbrella Market was such a success that we wanted to make sure shoppers could keep connecting with vendors. Get hand-crafted jewelry and carpentry, tie-dyes, home decor and other crafty creations like body scrubs and soaps, as well as produce, grass-fed meat and poultry, cupcakes and fruit pops.”
There will be thought-provoking and beautiful art that you do not want to miss at the galleries:
● the Asteria Exhibition at Art Avenue, a joint show by Eilisain Jewelry and DeKay Photography inspired by the Greek goddess of the night sky, stars and dreams;
● Rebel 57, ECU’s arts and literary magazine’s juried show, at PCAC at Emerge;
● Faces and Places, Rachael Bowman and Lisa Sneed’s photography and Ben Watford’s ever-popular “face jug” pottery at the Art Room;
● Magnum Opus, curated by ECU professor Daniel Kariko from Allen Thomas, Jr.s’ extraordinary contemporary photography collection, at Greenville Museum of Art;
● other great shows at ECU’s Wellington B. Gray Gallery and at Uptown Art Supply.
Beyond the art and the market, check out these other great things:
● Catch talented Noelle Smith singing originals (and some covers) and playing her guitar in front of the Pitt County Arts Council at Emerge (free!);
● Learn to polka with the Folks Arts Society of Greenville at the Tipsy Teapot (free!);
● Enjoy specials at Uptown restaurants;
● Head over to St. Paul’s Episcopal Church for a jazz concert at 8 p.m. ($10/$5 students).
Walk it all or enjoy a free ride on the Jolly Trolley. Find a complete list of participating venues here.
And of course, you won’t be able to forget about Freeboot Friday once you’re there! Uptown Greenville teams up with ECU Homecoming to kick off Homecoming weekend. Pirate Fans of all ages are invited to join us at the Five Points Plaza from 5-8pm. The David Dixon Trio headlines the event with an exciting mix of rock, soul and reggae. Enjoy guest appearances from Coach Ruffin McNeill, SGA President Michael King, ECU Cheerleaders, the ECU Marching Band and the ECU Dance Team. Also, meet the homecoming court and see their annual skits.
It’s a rare occurrence to have Freeboot Friday and the First Friday ArtWalk simultaneously. Take advantage and experience Uptown Greenville’s finest.
Contact the Uptown Greenville office at (252) 561-8400 for more information.
*Pictured above: “The Tears of the Fall” – Original Art Oil Painting on Canvas by Leonid Afremov